Saturday 23 March 2013

"Fantasy"

For this project, the theme is Fantasy. I want to start by deconstructing Fantasy into it's most basic form. Instead of looking at fairies, unicorns or gremlins, I want to start by thinking about where the key components of fantasy characters come from.

I believe that seeing comes before dreaming. To create an idea of a character I need to explore the world around me. It makes sense that the fantasy characters (that were often created long before the middle ages) would come from ideas seen through nature. Such as the mermaid, be it an old fisherman's tale of a woman with half the body of a fish, both aspects of the character come from natural beings that already exist, to create a bricolage.

I want to explore where fantasy characters come from and also explore nature and the beautiful colours, textures and shapes it creates. To create my character I want to stick very closely to my own, personal aesthetic likes. I adore pastel colours, gritty textures, holographic materials, 90's nostalgia, vintage toys, and curiosities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment